Sunday, May 15, 2011

For my first review, I'm going to do Wither by Lauren DeStefano, the first book in the Chemical Garden Trilogy. As is the recent trend in YA fiction, this is a dystopian read. The story is written in first person from a girl named Rhine, living in NYC somewhere in the not-so-far future. In her world, girls only live to age 20, and boys to age 25, thanks to a genetic mutation. Therefore girls are often kidnapped and forced into polygamous, and often active, marriages in order to keep the human population from dying out.
That being said, I think this is an amazing novel. I love how DeStefano builds the story. She writes it with the perfect timing for just the right mix of suspense, wonder, and thrill in the book. Rhine is a really well-developed character, with motives that some of us might question, but which we can all relate to. Part of her story's intrigue comes from the introspect involved in it. As I read this book, I wondered just what I would do in her situation, and the answer to that question leads me to appreciate Rhine more than I already have, for I can truly tell how hard this situation must be for her. All in all, Wither is a compelling read that is really worth your while.

No comments:

Post a Comment